Bayern Munich team doctor Hans-Wilhelm Mueller-Wohlfahrt is stepping down after almost four decades at the club, after the Bayern and German national team doctor’s medical staff was blamed for Bayern’s heavy UEFA Champions League defeat at the hands of Porto on Wednesday.
Mueller-Wohlfahrt, 72, said in a statement on Thursday that he was quitting the club he’s worked for since 1977 after Bayern’s “medical department was made primarily responsible for the defeat for inexplicable reasons,” and that the trust necessary for a successful working relationship has been damaged.
Bayern were without a number of key players — Bastian Schweinsteiger, Arjen Robben, Franck Ribery and David Alaba — for Wednesday’s Champions League clash with Porto. How much of that is Mueller-Wohlfahrt’s “fault” is unclear.
As of Thursday night in Germany, the club seemed to be completely unaware of Mueller-Wohlfahrt’s plans to step down, as a spokesman said, “We have not heard about this press release, so we can’t comment on it.”
In the video below, Bayern manager Pep Guardiola can be seen clapping sarcastically and gesticulating toward someone on the bench — Mueller-Wohlfahrt? — after defender Medhi Benatia suffered an injury against Bayern Leverkusen last week.
Mueller-Wohlfahrt spent nearly 40 years at Bayern, leaving the club only once, for a short time, following a disagreement with then-first-team manager…wait for it…Jurgen Klinsmann, but returned to the job as soon as the current U.S. national team boss left the club. So, maybe Mueller-Wohlfahrt isn’t gone for good after all.
José Mourinho has broken his 10-day silence, refusing to hide his simmering resentment towards the media over Diego Costa’s three-match suspension.
The Chelsea manager, who risked a Premier League fine for avoiding media duties either side of last weekend’s draw with Manchester City, was unhappy with the portrayal of a challenge between Costa and Liverpool’s Emre Can, which resulted in the Chelsea striker’s ban.
Asked why he had not spoken to the media since advancing to the Capital One Cup final at Liverpool’s expense on 27 January, Mourinho said: “Because if you want, you can make a silence very noisy. Depends what you want to do.
“You could make noise with my silence, because you know the reason for my silence. It depends on you. If I was a journalist I could make from silence, lots of words.”
Mourinho in December spoke of a “clear campaign” against his side and was fined £25,000 for those comments.
Asked if the reason for his absence was because of Costa’s suspension, which continues at Aston Villa on Saturday, Mourinho, who chose not to discuss the incident, said: “Not just [Costa’s ban]. I don’t reflect. Maybe I’m punished to reflect.
“Maybe they [football’s authorities] can read my reflection and that I don’t want.”
Managers are required to speak before and after matches under Premier League broadcast regulations.
Mourinho added: “You know why I’m here so you cannot expect that I’m super happy to be here.” He responded “yes” when asked if he was in attendance because he was required to be.
Ched Evans’s ‘true friend and supporter’ abused victim of rape
• Ched Evans’s website distances itself from protagonist
• Evans faces 14 months out of football over pending legal challenge
You may also want to read:
-> Ched Evans’s rape victim had to change name and move five times, says father
->Ched Evans refers to rape conviction as ‘act of infidelity’
source : bild article sadly behind paywall but posted in a tumblr post
e: apparently he also received five speeding tickets during that time, but no-one ever noticed he didn't have a license o_O
e2: someone from reddit translated a quote from the man himself:
He took driving lessons when he was 18 but never took a driving test. He just decided to drive without a licence. "Sadly I decided to take this route. I can't even comprehend the reasons myself. Now I know: I was too naive and it was stupid. I have learnt my lesson. It will never happen again."e3: can't believe it took me so long to remember his nickname is Rolls Reus.
yeah. i am disappoint :/
The Fifa president, Sepp Blatter, says there are ‘grounds for suspicion that international transfers of assets with connections to Switzerland took place’. Photograph: Harold Cunningham/Getty Images
In a further twist to its farcical attempt to deal with corruption allegations surrounding the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding race, Fifa has lodged a criminal complaint against certain individuals involved with the Swiss authorities.
Fifa’s president, Sepp Blatter, lodged the complaint at the behest of the German judge Hans-Joachim Eckert, whose summary of Michael Garcia’s 430-page investigation was disowned by the American attorney. The full report will be made available to the Swiss attorney general in Berne, who will decide whether criminal charges should follow.
( Ugh. )
The Irish PFA's solicitor referred to Ched Evans as an "alleged rapist" despite the striker serving half of his five-year sentence in prison. Photograph: Nick Potts/PA Archive/Press Association Ima
The Professional Footballers’ Association of Ireland have launched a defence of the convicted rapist, Ched Evans, saying that he could be innocent and that, even if guilty, he deserves a chance of redemption, comparing the 25-year-old to the Guildford Four and the Birmingham Six because “they got no sympathy either”.
( Read more... )
Nigeria won the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations and will hope to defend their title in Equatorial Guinea. Photograph: Armando Franca/AP
Equatorial Guinea, one of Africa’s smallest countries, will replace Morocco as hosts of the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations finals, the Confederation of African Football (Caf) confirmed on Friday.
Morocco wanted the tournament postponed over fears of a spread of the deadly Ebola virus but the Caf refused and on Tuesday stripped the north African country of the hosting rights.
The oil-rich Spanish-speaking Equatorial Guinea hosted the 2012 finals with their neighbours Gabon but will take on the 16-team tournament on their own from 17 January to 8 February.
It is not clear whether the new hosts will be able to play in the tournament. Equatorial Guinea were disqualified from the preliminaries for cheating.
Caf said the decision on the new hosts was made after a meeting in Malabo on Friday between Equatorial Guinea’s president, Teodoro Obiang, and the Caf president, Issa Hayatou.
“The head of state of Equatorial Guinea agreed to host the competition. As a result, the Caf executive committee confirm that the tournament will go ahead and Equatorial Guinea will compete as the host nation,” a statement from African soccer’s governing body said.
Equatorial Guinea had been disqualified from the preliminaries in August for fielding an illegible player.
Matches will be held at four venues in Bata, Ebebiyin, Mongomo and the capital Malabo. In 2012, the tournament was hosted in Malabo and Bata while the draw for the finals will be in Malabo on 3 December.
“Caf wishes to express its sincere thanks to the Equatorial Guinean people, its government and particularly president Obiang,” the statement concluded.
Of course, a dictatorial country with one of the worst human rights records in Africa get to host. Not to mention, they cheated during the qualifiers. Hmmm, I sense a pattern here.
- Jessica-Ennis Hill said re-signing Evans would 'contradict' her beliefs
- Sheffield United controversially said he could train with them
- Ex-patron Charlie Webster: 'Club hasn't acknowledged extremity of crime'
- Lindsay Graham and sixties pop star Dave Berry have also resigned
- MPs and rape support groups have demanded the Blades reverse decision
Real Madrid president Florentino Pérez announced last month that the club's income had surged to €604m. Photograph: Emilio Naranjo/EPA
Real Madrid have agreed a long-term strategic partnership with Abu Dhabi’s International Petroleum Investment Co (IPIC) which it expects will strengthen the club’s status as the world’s richest and also help fund a planned stadium overhaul.
Both parties have agreed not to divulge the length or the value of the deal, IPIC said.
The agreement includes setting up Real museums and expanding the club’s global footprint of football schools, as well as creating content for digital-media platforms, IPIC, which is owned by the Abu Dhabi government, said on their website on Tuesday.
“The commercial arrangements will enable Real Madrid to meet one of its most fundamental future challenges, to convert the [Bernabéu] stadium into the best sporting venue in the world,” it added.
Real became the first football club to amass annual revenues of more than €500m (£394m) in the 2011-12 season and the president Florentino Pérez announced last month that income had surged to €604m in 2013-14.
Last year the European champions agreed a five-year shirt sponsorship deal with the Dubai-based airline Emirates which Spanish media reported was worth €30m a season.
Real have chosen a design led by the German architect GMP for the remodelling of the Bernabéu, which was opened in the 1950s and holds just over 80,000 spectators, at an estimated cost of €400m.
The club hopes the work, which would see a striking new roof and exterior added to the structure and include a hotel and a shopping centre, can be completed by 2017.
However, a Madrid court has thrown the plans into doubt by ruling that a deal between Real and the Madrid council, which would allow land adjacent to the stadium to be incorporated into the project, should be suspended because the European Commission is examining it for possible illegal state aid.
Spanish media have speculated that IPIC may buy the naming rights for the revamped arena and Pérez said the deal announced on Tuesday marked “the start of a long journey and the beginning of a strong partnership”.
“It will no doubt prove to be vital for meeting one of our biggest challenges: turning the Santiago Bernabéu stadium into one of the best stadiums in the world, into a unique architectural landmark for the city of Madrid and a symbol of innovation for our country,” Pérez, a construction magnate, said. “As of today, IPIC will become a key partner that shares our values and will help us promote and strengthen the Real Madrid brand throughout every continent.
“From now on, as one of our most important sponsors, they will be instrumental in carrying out a series of crucial projects for Real Madrid’s future.”
The Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, is confident his country will host the 2022 World Cup. Photograph: Xinhua/Landov/Barcroft Media
The Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, believes his country will host the 2022 World Cup despite Fifa’s ongoing investigation into the bidding process and concerns over when the tournament will take place.
Fifa’s ethics chief, Michael Garcia, this week reiterated his call for his report into the 2018 and 2022 bidding processes to be published in full. However in his first interview since succeeding his father, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani last year, the Emir dismissed concerns over corruption. “People should understand that Qatar had the best bid, and Qatar will provide and will do one of the best World Cups in history and I’m sure about that,” he told CNN.
“People don’t want to accept, don’t want to realise that a small country, Arab, Muslim country, can host a big event like that.”
A Guardian investigation earlier this year revealed that hundreds of migrant workers have died in Qatar since construction of the World Cup stadia began, with the International Trade Union Confederation estimating 4,000 could be dead by the time the World Cup begins.
“Yes, it’s true – we had problems,” the Emir said. “We’re solving the problems. We’re enforcing the laws – it’s not acceptable.”
“We changed the laws. They are enforced and there are many laws that have been changed. And I’m telling you because I am personally hurt about the situation.
“All the media is concentrating on Qatar due to the World Cup. If we have problems I don’t mind talking about the problems. But also we need to talk other – about other things, about those laws that we did.”
The players’ union FifPro and several major European leagues have voiced their concerns at the prospect of the World Cup being played in summer temperatures up to 45C, with Fifa due to decide in February whether to move the tournament to the winter months. However, the Emir insisted that hi-tech air conditioning systems could make it possible to hold the tournament in summer.
He said: “We have this technology for ten years now and it’s working in one of our stadiums. One hundred per cent it will be working.
“Our bid was for it to be in summer. At the end, it’s up to Fifa to decide when is the best time. We’re ready for both.”
An interesting article from Fortune on why the World Cup will be held in Qatar: HERE
So after reading about Dani Carvajal's injury, I just noticed, "Wow! Everyone's getting sidelined with an injury lately!" Most of them during the international break, too. How funny. *rolls eyes* Granted, these injuries might just be slight tweaks and are not as serious as we think (I HOPE.) But still, it's enough to pull them out of certain international and club matches. We wish these boys a speedy recovery!
- Bastian Schweinsteiger: knee injury, sustained during Bayern Munich vs. MLS All-Stars match. Out until mid-September. [x]
- Javi Martinez: knee ligament injury, sustained during German Supercup match between BVB and Bayern. Out for six months. [x]
- Mats Hummels: knee injury. Doubtful for qualifier vs. Arsenal. [x]
- Julian Draxler: hamstring injury, sustained during Germany vs. Argentina. Should be able to return in time for club matches. [x]
- Marco Reus: ankle injury, sustained during Germany vs. Scotland. Might not be as serious as his pre-World Cup injury. Could be out for four weeks. [x]
- Ciro Immobile: bruised hip, sustained during Italy vs. Norway. BVB believe it's not severe. [x]
- Sami Khedira: thigh injury, origin debated upon by Real Madrid and DFB. Out for six weeks and will be back in action on October. [x]
- Lionel Messi: groin injury, sustained during Barcelona vs. Villarreal. Making "considerable improvements" and should be able to play Barcelona vs. APOEL. [x]
- Dani Carvajal: hamstring injury, possibly sustained during Spain vs. France. No timetable of return yet. Will miss Spain vs. Macedonia and might miss Real Madrid vs. Atletico Madrid. [x]
- Romelu Lukaku: toe injury. Doubtful for Everton vs. West Brom. [x]
- Eden Hazard: light Achilles tendon injury. Pulled out of international duty but should return for club matches. [x]
- Olivier Giroud: broken bone in foot, sustained towards the end of Arsenal vs. Everton match. Out until end of December/start of January. [x]
- Mesut Ozil: ankle injury, sustained towards the end of Arsenal vs. Leicester City match. Will
miss play the Manchester City match, according to Wenger. [x]
- Laurent Koscielny: head injury, sustained during Arsenal vs. Leicester City match. Will be back in time for club matches. [x]
- Daniel Sturridge: thigh injury, sustained during training with England NT. Out for three weeks, will miss international and club matches in that time period, including Liverpool vs. Basel. [x]
- Jordan Henderson: ankle injury, sustained during training with England NT. A doubt for Liverpool vs. Aston Villa. [x]
- Diego Costa: hamstring injury, sustained during Spain vs. France. David Silva says it's "nothing serious" but he's replaced by Spain U-21's Munir El Haddadi in the Spain vs. Macedonia match. [x]
- Stevan Jovetic: hamstring injury, sustained during training with Montenegro NT. Might miss Man City vs. Arsenal. [x]
- Aaron Ramsey: ankle injury, sustained during Wales vs. Andorra match. A doubt for Man City vs. Arsenal. [x]
- Andrea Pirlo: hip injury, sustained during a pre-season match. Will be out for a month. [x]
- Giorgio Chiellini: calf injury. Ruled out of Italy's matches. [x]
- Giuseppe Rossi: knee injury. Out for five months. [x]
- David Luiz: knee injury, sustained during Brazil vs. Colombia. Ruled out of Brazil vs. Ecuador. [x]
Comment below for any more injury reports (with a source) and I'll edit it into this post. Decided to arrange it according to leagues so it's easier to look at. (Also I'm only including the injuries that were sustained in this season and pre-season.)
( Read more... )
EXCLUSIVE: Red Devils executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward held talks with the Mexican striker and told him that he has no future at Old Trafford
Manchester United forward Javier Hernandez has been told he is surplus to requirements and can leave the club in the next few days.
The Mexico international held talks with executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward on Thursday afternoon where he was told he does not feature in the plans of manager Louis van Gaal.
Woodward, who broke similar news to Rio Ferdinand earlier this summer, arrived at Carrington at midday and discussed various terms with Hernandez, including any pay-off due to the player under the terms of his contract.
United had been looking to recoup around €19 million six months ago but are now willing to settle for a much lower fee in order to move Hernandez on before Monday's transfer deadline.
Having moved to Old Trafford from Guadalajara in 2010 Hernandez quickly established himself as a firm favourite among United's fans, scoring a number of important and sometimes unusual goals.
He scored with his face in the Community Shield win against Chelsea four years ago, and later in the Premier League season converted with a backwards header against Stoke City.
With a goal every 130 minutes he has the fourth best minutes-to-goals ratio in Premier League history behind Sergio Aguero, Thierry Henry and Ruud van Nistelrooy.
But he could not break into the team under David Moyes last season and struggled to find any consistency, sparking rumours that he would be sold this summer.
He attracted interest from Atletico Madrid and Inter earlier in the year as those two clubs cast their nets far and wide, while Southampton were also rumoured to be suitors.
Hernandez now has little over four days to find himself a new club as his time at Manchester United comes to an end.
+ Also, Miguel Herrera left him off the Mexican national team friendlies until he sorts out his club situation.
+ Transfer rumor: Valencia & Juventus are in the running to sign him.